February 15th, 2016

This day will forever hold a special place in my heart. It is the day my sweet, amazing, wonderful son was born.  I was quite surprised he came that day because it was my due date, and due date babies are so rare (my first was way late)!

I have wanted to share his birth story for a while, I just never really got around to doing it. What better time to do it then his first birthday. I hope you enjoy it!

I woke up around 5 in the morning and had that crampy feeling. I remembered that feeling from my first, and I knew it meant he would be officially joining our family earthside that day. I got up to use the bathroom, and went to lay back down. The pain had already increased slightly, so I knew sleep would not be possible. I decided to take a shower. I’m not sure if you have ever tried a shower while in labor, but I HIGHLY recommend it! Both of my labors progressed quickly while/after taking a shower. When I finished, I thought I would try to be comfortable and sit on the bed. That wasn’t happening. Sitting in one spot was too painful. It was time to start walking, dancing, doing all the things I could to make myself comfortable through contractions. I woke my husband up and told him I was in labor. He grumbled out a series of mumbled words, and fell back to sleep. I was about ready to unleash on him. I was thinking to myself, who does that?! What does he think he is doing?! I then roughly shook his body and spoke loudly and sternly. That seemed to do the trick. He was up and out of bed and by my side. By this time it was about 5:40(ish, I really wasn’t watching the clock that closely), and we just called my midwife to let her know I was in labor. My husband got up and set up the birth space.  The man is a saint! I kept telling him “I need you! Help me!” He was running back and forth between holding me while I went through the contractions, to setting everything up. I remember yelling at him to hold me, and then once he would, telling him stop touching me so much. A little confusing I am sure ;)! We got in touch with my midwife again, and she said she wanted to talk to me to assess where I was at. I was sitting on the toilet, and I did everything I could to get the words out and answer her questions. She decided she would head over then, and in my heart I was happy because I just knew it would be soon. I would be having this sweet baby soon. I wanted to take another shower, so my husband put some board shorts on and got in with me. He put them on in case she got to our house before we were done. I’ve seen him naked…I don’t know why I felt I needed to clarify that! The pain was starting to wear me down. I didn’t think I could continue to get through the contractions. I’m so grateful my husband is who he is, because he is so calm and logical. He got me through when I didn’t think I could. After the shower, the contractions were right on top of each other, and they were SO intense. I wanted to try out the birth pool, so the plan was to fill it when my midwife arrived. But I think I knew then I would never make it in to the pool, my body had started pushing. It felt like it had been hours since labor started.  At the point of those first pushes, my water was still intact. I tried to slow them down, but our bodies are so wonderfully made, they can birth a baby with minimal help from us. I really couldn’t “stop” the pushing. I finally just gave in and slightly pushed. My water then broke, and I remember laughing in my head because it looked and felt like a water balloon had just be thrown on me. I swear it shot out 20 feet! (Exaggeration to the max!) I was in a stand squat in front of my husband, holding his hands. Which, btw, insanely comfortable position to birth in! Laying on our backs makes no sense. I would recommend trying a different position, like standing/squatting or on all 4’s, if you are able! He was sitting on the couch facing me. I thought he would be delivering our son, and he did too. Yet he was as cool as a cucumber, calm and ready. Just then, we heard a car. Our midwife had just arrived. I said/yelled at my husband through gritted to get her in here.  Husband really loves telling that part of the story because when he says it he makes me sound like I was speaking like Christian Bale in the Batman movies. I could feel babes head coming. She walked in and immediately stopped, looked at me, said “are you pushing?!”, dropped all of her bags, put her gloves on, and helped me deliver my son. I don’t know exactly where his head was when she walked in, but it felt like he was almost hanging out (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). She was like a ninja! She put those gloves on and slid down in front of me like she was sliding in to home plate. Amazing at her job!

I have total confidence in my husband, and I think he would have been completely capable to help me the whole way through. But I am thankful Paula (my wonderful midwife) arrived when she did. I was still in the standing squat position when she arrived, and she had me sit down and lay back. My hubby sat behind me, and I leaned back on him. The cord was around baby boy’s neck, and she did a somersault move to get him out. That’s what she told me at least, I didn’t “feel” her do that. She immediately put him on to my chest, and I just felt heaven. I was also on that birth high. Seriously, that high is POWERFUL! I know people are worried about how bad it hurts to labor med free, but personally I don’t remember the pain of the end. Your body has it’s own way of helping you, it truly felt like a high for me. Yet I was in complete control and just in love with this sweet baby I just released. He was born at 7:13 am. He was 8 lbs 8 oz, and 20 inches long. 2 hrs and 13 minutes after labor started. Thank you mom for the good labor genes.

He was so beautiful! I remember thinking there is no way this angel is mine! How did I get so lucky?! He was also so quiet! I worried he wasn’t breathing and asked Paula a few times “is he okay?? Is he breathing??” He absolutely was, he just didn’t feel the need to cry. Of course right after I asked that, he peed all over me. I suppose it was his way of assuring me he was fine.

Rachel (also an amazing midwife) showed up a few minutes after he was born, and so did Lauren (midwife in training), as well as my mother in law. She was coming to help us with our daughter, but she ended up sleeping through the whole thing. After some time (I have no idea how long, but I was SO grateful for that long, undisputed skin to skin time with little man) had passed, and my husband, the baby, and myself finally moved from our position on the floor, we moved on to what needed to bed done next. I ended up needing a couple stitches, so Rachel sewed me up. (Sorry, I can’t think of a more medical way to say that). Being at home was so different than the hospital. While I was getting my stitches, Lauren did all the newborn checks with my mother in law watching, and my husband got up and made us all breakfast. It was just like a regular Monday morning, except I just had a baby in our living room and we had a few extra people joining us to eat.

I can not put in to words how amazing birthing at home is. I know that not everyone can do that. I know hospitals are necessary. I would never want to make someone think I don’t understand that they don’t have the same experience as I do. I DO know that I am lucky when it comes to length of labor. I DO know that some medical situations require in-hospital birth. I DO. I know. But I also know that labor is natural, and society as well as some doctors put fear in to women’s eyes when it doesn’t need to be. Trust yourself and trust your body. God made us to do this.

When I was done getting my stitches and he was done with his check up, they handed that sweet baby boy back to me and I fell in love all over again. He went straight to my breast, and we stayed there for quite some time.

He soon fell asleep, and I got to enjoy an amazing homemade breakfast while still having my sweet little babe snuggled up to me.

I had planned to have a photographer there to document the amazing occasion, but everything moved so fast I didn’t have the chance to even call her! These iPhone photos will just have to do 🙂

Soon after breakfast was done, our sweet first born woke up. What a surprise that would be for her! They are a little less than 18 months apart, so I don’t think it all really set in for her. But she did SUCH  a good job meeting him! It was the best moment of my life. I had no idea I could have so much love in my heart!

Here she is meeting him for the very first time. He even got his arm out of the swaddle and touched her face. I know, heart melting, right?

His birth is hands down one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done in my life. There was moments in my pregnancy where I doubted myself. I didn’t know if I was strong enough to have him at home. I didn’t know if I was capable enough. I was. I am. I did it, and I have more respect for myself now than ever. I don’t think I would even need a full hand to count the times in my life where I’ve felt proud of myself. This is absolutely one of them.

From the moment he was born, he’s been a sweet, cuddly, loving little man. I am so thankful and grateful that I get to be his mom. I wrote this quickly, and it’s not in as great of detail as I would like. But I love sharing it! I am an open book when it comes to delivery and post partum. I will tell you the pretty parts and the not so pretty parts. If I can help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I would love to chat!

I will leave you with a few more photos from his first year of life, as well as a few from his 1 year shoot. I hope you have enjoyed hearing the short story version of this amazing little man’s entrance in to our lives. We are so, insanely, eternally grateful for him.

This adorable onesie was handmade by Jamie Robertson @JandDgifts. Check her out, she has so many amazing products!

This was his first time visiting his Papa, my father. We miss him terribly every day.

I mean, that hair. We have been pleasantly surprised by his gorgeous blonde locks!

His first beach day when his Auntie Sara came to visit us.

This is one of my favorite pictures of him. His sister saw the glasses on his clothes so put a pair on him as well. He rocks them if you ask me!

His one year photos were taken by Ali @aliartandphotography. Her pictures are breathtaking and if you are in the San Diego area I highly, HIGHLY recommend her! She is SO good with the kids, she is basically an angel to work with! Her talent is beyond!

His onesie cardigan and bowtie are from Amy @amycollierdesigns. She just launched some new outfits and they are amazinggg! Check her shop out on Etsy!

Suspender jeans are by Osh Kosh.

Moccasins are @Freshlypicked.

Hat is @carpentercaps

My midwife is Paula Tipton-Healy. She was such a blessing to us! I can not explain how much she means to our family! Please give her a call if you are in San Diego! The trust we have in her makes our relationship so much more personal. She wasn’t just our care provider, but she truly cared about us, our family, our hopes and dreams. She is a forever friend, and I will never forget how she made us feel at peace. Having someone who supports you during this transition and time in life is so vital to experiencing the birth YOU want! Birth is not a medical condition, it is the most natural time in life.  Women are not sick because they are pregnant. Find someone who keeps you in mind, not the money.

You can find Paula at her website http://www.paulatipton-healy.com

Rachel Flores now has her own midwifery practice, and she also did my placenta encapsulation! I am so thankful I did it! I was unsure if I would do it. It seemed a bit “beastly” to me at first. But the difference in myself I noticed after that first pill made it so worth it!! I didn’t have severe PPD after my first, but I remember feeling those baby blues and that helpless feeling from time to time. And I shed a lot of tears! The second time was such a different experience.  It is something I will absolutely do again if I have another baby.

Rachel’s website is http://www.amothersnaturebirth.com

Happy Birthday Solomon Finn, we love you so much Bubba! This has been the greatest year of our lives! We hope you loved our birthday donut tradition son!

We showed him the donut…

…but didn’t give it to him right away. Our bad Bud!

I’m so thankful my husband was able to stay home long enough this morning to be a part of our family birthday donut tradition. It wouldn’t have been the same without him!

It was a success!

I had to add one of big sissy because she is his best friend, and she picked out everyone’s donuts. We are so so glad he has her!

Her bib is by Krista @augieandlola

Thank you so much for reading!

By grace through faith,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s